UAH is secular, intellectual and non-aligned politically, culturally or religiously email discussion group.


{UAH} I nominate Mr.Stanley Ndawula of the Investigator as the journalist of the month

Friends:

 I nominate Mr.Stanley Ndawula of the Investigator as the journalist of the month. I'm not here to fast-track him to some kind of Sainthood status but his article on the Mayor of Kamwenge, Byamukama, may turn out to be a turning point in the history of police torture in Uganda. I applaud his investigative skills. I don't think the enormity of this devastating story was fully understood immediately till when other major newspapers, and of course social media, picked it up. And unfortunately, it is far from over, as we continue to read several stories of people that have been tortured while in police custody, especially Nalufenya and Naggalama detention centres.

This Byamukama tragedy has cut very deep - right through any de-sensitised barrier. Many people seem to be taking this very personally even if they are in fact in opposition, and this was done to a super NRM official. Among the MPs who have spoken out is the brother who took over the reigns from us as the Chairman of political Education club while at Kibuli S.S, Hon. Agaaba Abaasi. I never even knew he was in parliament till this horrible incident. I thought he was still working as a Resist Democracy Completely (RDC).

My only advice to the people running the Investigator would be to think a bit more like journalists and make their points early in the articles, then support it. As it is, a person must read quite a lot to get to the point and most people, alas, are lazy when it comes to reading. It's better to make your point in a pithy first paragraph, and then eliminate everything but the information that supports your point. The shorter the better.That way, it gets read and the information gets across. I was almost gonna give up on that article on Byamukama if I had not seen the gruesome pictures. May God help that man recover and be able to fully use his legs again!

--

*Abbey Kibirige  Semuwemba*

Stalk my blog at: http://semuwemba.com/

"My journey is long and my preparation is so little, and weakness has gripped me and death is chasing me!"

--
Disclaimer:Everyone posting to this Forum bears the sole responsibility for any legal consequences of his or her postings, and hence statements and facts must be presented responsibly. Your continued membership signifies that you agree to this disclaimer and pledge to abide by our Rules and Guidelines.To unsubscribe from this group, send email to: ugandans-at-heart+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

Sharing is Caring:


WE LOVE COMMENTS


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Followers